Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Remember Me?

Well....how are you?  Been awhile since I checked in, right?  Sorry!  It's not that I've been sooo busy.  Basically, I didn't know what to say.  What!?  You say.  Didn't know what to say?!  It happens.

But I'm all better now:) In fact, I'm a happy girl!  I've started running again!  My last (at least it better be) surgery was December 13th.  I am all reconstructed now!  After a few weeks of taking it easy, I started walking and about ten days ago, I added in some running.  This rare beautiful Iowa winter allowed me to run outside last week a couple of days.  However......we are now experiencing typical Iowa weather so I have moved my running inside...at the gym where I work on the treadmill.  As many of you know, this can be very boring! 

How do you beat the boredom?  I've found a couple of ways. Nothing earth-shattering but it's working for me.  First off, I love adding new music to my i-Pod shuffle.  The best way, though, are treadmill work-outs.  Today, I did this 3-2-1 work-out...
2 minutes @ 3.5 mph (walking)
3 minutes @ 5.5 mph
2 minutes @ 6 mph
1 minute @ 6.5 mph
3 minutes @ 5.5 mph
2 minutes @ 6 mph
1 minute @ 6.5 mph
3 minutes @ 6 mph
2 minutes @ 6.5 mph
1 minute @ 7 mph
3 minutes @ 5.5 mph
2 minutes @ 6 mph
1 minute @ 6.5 mph
3 minutes @ 5.5 mph
1 minute @ 3.5 mph
30 minutes and about 2.80 miles.

It felt great!  Follow along...only 9 months until the DesMoines Half-Marathon.  My hope is to record my journey between now and then.  Wish me luck!

Check this out!


For supper tonight, I made Barley, Grape Tomato and Arugula Saute.  It was in my weekly Weight Watchers flyer.  It was awesome!  The best part is that it can be re-heated tomorrow for lunch or can be eaten cold.  Looking forward to that!
1 1/2 cups water
salt and pepper
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley (not instant)
extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
2 cloves minced garlic
3 cups arugula leaves
lemon zest

Bring water and a pinch of salt to a boil in a small sauce pan.  Add barley, cover, reduce heat to low and cook until water is absorbed and barley is tender but still has a nice bite to it, about 35 minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Heat about a teaspoon of olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add tomatoes and garlic; saute until tomatoes start to soften and release their juices, about 1 to 2 minutes. 

Add barley, salt and pepper to taste; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until tomatoes soften further and barley absorbs tomato liquid, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Stir in arugula, toss over medium heat until wilted, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, stir in about a teaspoon of olive oil and some lemon zest.  Serves 4.  Enjoy!

Oh, by the way....my family did not eat this.  This is just a little too out-there for them.  They ate scalloped potatoes and ham.  Baby steps....

What is there beside running and eating?...well, lots!  But, this week in addition to my full-time job, I will be filling in for our pastor this Sunday.  I've been working on my message and I have it almost done.  When I sign off here, I'll be working on that a bit more.  My message is entitled "Modern-Day David" and gets into the story of David and Goliath - looking at it from a bit of a different angle than it is usually looked at. 

There you have it.  I truly hope that it is not 2 months before I check back in.  Let's put it this way.  It will NOT be that long.  I have to keep you updated on my half-marathon training journey after all!  See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment