Saturday, February 11, 2012

I'm in Washington DC!

So.  My friend, Ann, and I have been planning this trip since September!  She is here for work and I get to tag along!  YAY!  We are here at CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference).  She works for Congressman Steve King's campaign and, therefore, that is why we are at CPAC! 

What do you get when you combine the excitement of CPAC with one of the most interesting cities in the world?  Awesomeness!

We left Omaha on Wednesday...
with Jeff and Lindsay King (silly kids in the background:)  As soon as we got to DC and checked into our hotel, we headed to one of our fave places to eat...
Need I say more?  But I will.  Not only does Old Ebbit Grill have fabulous food but it is soooo historic!  It was opened in the mid 1800's and people like Teddy Roosevelt and Ulysses S. Grant just hung out there!  Cool!  The must-have on the menu.....Oysters!
Slurp!
and mussels!
I already can't wait to go back some day!
Thursday and Friday were full of CPAC activities!
Congressman King speaking!
And, Rick Santorum!
Senator Santorum was joined on the stage by his wife, Karen, and kids John, Peter, Elizabeth, Sarah Maria, William and Patrick.  They were all wearing Bella pins because their little sister has been sick and could not join them....so cool!...not that she is sick but that they wore pins for her!

And, then Ann Coulter...always a hoot - not a lot of substance.  It's fun to hear her speak.  Believe it or not, she does tone it down when she is interviewed on tv because she is definitely filter-free when she is talking to a room full of conservatives!
Okay....a break from CPAC and a trip to Georgetown AND drumroll, please!  Georgetown Cupcakes!  Aaah!!

Are we in heaven?  No, this is Georgetown Cupcakes! 
We are happy girls and these are the happy workers!
Well, they really were happier than what they look in these pictures!

And the prize - 6 cupcakes!  Red Velvet, Chocolate-Vanilla, Coconut, Lemon Cream, Chocolate Lava and Chocolate Ganache!  
So pretty!  Which one do we eat first?

Actually, today would have been just about a perfect day except for a tiny little trip to the ER.  Yep - you heard me right!  Ann cut her finger a few days back and it was definitely getting infected.  The nurse practitioner she called told her she better get to an ER because she may need IV antibiotics!  Turns out, she did not.  However, she did have to have her finger x-rayed, numbed, cut open and all the gunky stuff squeezed out of it.  You would have all been so proud of me!  I watched the entire thing and did not fall over!  The rest of the adventure was finding a 24 hour pharmacy to get her antibiotic prescription filled.  Finally found one - in Dupont Circle!  She is much better today and we are very happy we acted when we did:)

This morning, we got up at o-dark thirty (as Ann would say) and headed to our scheduled tour of the White House at 8:00!  It was a lot of fun!  Saw the East Room, Green Room, Blue Room, Red Room and the Dining room where all of the state dinners are held.  I thought maybe we'd get to see more but I guess the Obamas weren't accepting guests today in their private residence.  Dang!  I can say I have walked where some pretty powerful and amazing people have walked. And, when I say amazing, I mean Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan and George W.  (you can take that as Washington or Bush - I'll keep you guessing!) 

Later, we are headed to the Old Post Office and the National Archives.  I am making it a personal goal that whenever I am in DC, I need to make a pilgrimage to the Archives.  Nothing is as awe-inspiring as the actual Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. 

More later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment